Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

What can i give my dog she is crying non stop, she

Customer Question

what can i give my dog for pain she is crying non stop, she has gum issues, she was at the vet yesterday she got a antibiotic shot and is very sic now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. If you want to use something for pain, the only over the counter pain med safe in dogs is Aspirin. The dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours, as needed. I would then talk to your vet when they open. Typically I'll use Gabapentin or Tramadol for chronic pain in dogs. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I think she is also having a reaction from her shot of antibiotics as she is throwing up and has the diarrehea.The shot was covenia. Should i still give her the aspirin/ should i rub it on her gums or put it down her throat or wait for my vet in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
In that case, I would go with Benadryl instead. That can help with any type of reaction to a medication. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. In the morning, call your vet and explain things. They may want to start a probiotic at that time.