PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Vomiting 2 days, shaking, panting, rigid body Papillion

Customer Question

vomiting for past 2 days, shaking, panting, rigid body Papillion 9 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: only thing I can think of was a snail
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie the vomit was dark brown
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: up to date on all meds, no history of health problems 8 years old
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER, thanks for your question. It looks like the professional you were hoping to speak with is not currently available so I have stepped in to help.Has your Papillion had any new dog food or treats given recently? Any human food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.