Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Came home from work let him out and when he came back in he

Customer Question

Came home from work let him out and when he came back in he just is really shakey and seems weak...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hercules he's almost 4
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: His nose is dry and he don't wanna drink anything this evening
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Hercules isn't feeling well tonight. Aside from the shakiness and weakness can you see any other evidence of what might be wrong? Was he normal before you let him out? Any sign of vomit or diarrhea in your home or evidence that he got into something that he shouldn't have? Check his gum color please - it should be bubblegum pink and his gums should be moist - if they are not pink and moist, this could be an issue. Please let me know what you're seeing and we will continue to chat.Thanks~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gums are pink and moist, he seemed fine when I let him out, nothing chewed up, there was 2 small spots of diarrhea but unsure if it was from him, but he shivers as he lays here
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply - that's very helpful. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type up my thoughts for you.~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seems he shivers as he's breathing in but when he falls completely asleep he stops shivering
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
When I hear of pets who are acting vaguely "off" like you're describing, there are two different causes I'm looking for: either physical discomfort of some kind (including pain anywhere, itching, or nausea) or anxiety. As you can imagine, physical discomfort is pretty much impossible for me to assess without seeing him myself, but most times owners have an idea of what might be bothering their dog by watching their behavior. Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting or diarrhea - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. I would suspect this most highly since you've seen some diarrhea in your home. Diarrhea can be a sign of a GI upset caused by eating something unusual or a parasitic or viral infection. Less commonly diarrhea can be a sign of a systemic (whole body) disease like kidney failure, liver disease, or cancer. I'd certainly consider those things less likely in a younger dog.I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections be up all night pacing and trying to settle or just shivering for no apparent reason. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. If we've done a full physical and potentially some lab work if we thought it indicated and we cannot see any sign of physical problems, that's when we will consider anxiety. Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering him. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), a rectal temperature over 103, or any sort of labored breathing.Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi Hope,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara