Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog, a puppy ate a small amount of a Duraflame firestarter

Customer Question

my dog, a puppy ate a small amount of a Duraflame firestarter what should I do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she is a 6 mo old cocker spaniel and she ate the corner of the log. She is eating normally and drinking her water is there anything I should do
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** How long ago did this little one eat this bit of the Duraflame log? How much does she weigh?
The Dura flame logs are basically saw dust/wood fragments held together by wax. The wax is a petroleum product that is not absorbed from the GI tract as well as the wood. For the most part, the clinical signs that might be seen are GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). The potentially more concerning logs are the ones that have other metals added to give them colors as they burn. Here is a link to the Dura flame site. http://www.duraflame.com/safety-tips/pet-safety