Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a dog whose puppies are weaned and gone. Her milk has

Customer Question

I have a dog whose puppies are weaned and gone. Her milk has dried up. She is very nurturing and loves being a mommy. There is a pup that was dumped and bneeds a nursing mommy. Is there anyway to make her milk come back? Is it harmful to her? She tries to adopt puppies all the time. (I foster / rescue)
JA: OK. Feel free to minimize me and read in peace. Just know I can connect you with the Veterinarian whenever you like. OK. Feel free to minimize me and read in peace. Just know I can connect you with the Veterinarian whenever you like. I'm sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Just wanting to know about nursing
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Missy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 8 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.Unfortunately, there is no way to make Missy's milk come back. Sometimes, a very nurturing female will begin to lactate again shortly after weaning her puppies, but I would seriously doubt that she could produce enough milk, & milk of sufficient nutritional value to truly maintain a healthy, growing puppy.There is no reason, however, not to see if Missy will adopt this puppy & give it the maternal & social interaction it needs. You can then supply the nutrition the puppy needs using a puppy milk replacer like Esbilac.Do you know how old the puppy is?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 8 months ago.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any further questions. I am more than happy to help as best as I can.Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The puppy is a new born. We found a mom for her. I was just curious as missy loves all puppies and wants to take care of every one.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 7 months ago.
It was a good question. I am glad the puppy is being well cared for.