PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I'm wondering if a dog still contracts after having their puppies,

Customer Question

i'm wondering if a dog still contracts after having their puppies, or if something could be wrong like a stuck puppy or retained placenta. my golden retriever had 5 puppies, the last one being born at 4am. It's now 11:30 am. She's been contracting since then but no more puppies. She's panting here and there, and seems pretty normal otherwise. Has been laying in her whelping box the last few hours nursing the puppies. No discharge has been coming out.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Lindsay, thanks for your question. For the safety of the mother, we consider that anything after 30 minutes of active labor is too much. There can be a relaxed period of time of 2-4 hours between puppies for the mother to get the new puppies cared for and then refocus on birthing the rest of the litter. However, her pushing for this long indicates an emergency. She's been in active labor and is now well within the limits of what is known as a dystocia. More info here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/reproductive/c_dg_dystociaThere's a very good chance that there is a puppy remaining either in the birth canal or uterus that needs to be assisted in removal to allow the others to be birthed. Unfortunately, this may require surgery to do. The longer Daisy has contractions without producing more puppies the higher the risk those left in the uterus and birth canal will not make it. I would take both she and all of her puppies to a vet immediately. If you must go to the ER, do so. She needs to be seen as quickly as possible to give the remaining puppies the best chance at life. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.