PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He had diarrhea last night and just puked orange mucus up.

Customer Question

He had diarrhea last night and just puked orange mucus up. I found a piece of wood in his vomit. Last week he chewed a sock and I never found the toe part, but never saw it in his stool so I figured he just didn't eat it. Other than that he has been acting fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of, just kibble. He chewed on a piece of wood which is where the wood came from.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper and 1 year old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He's a golden retriever, probably 100 pounds
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Has he consumed anything that would have colored his vomitus orange? pumpkin, perhaps? 2) When was the last time that he ate a normal meal? 3) Any blood in the stool? 4) What does his normal diet consist of? Kibble and treats? Any human food? 5) Any diet changes recently or new foods given as treats?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. Nothing orange colored
2. He just ate today, I added a can of food to his kibble to encourage eating. He ate last night as well.
3. No blood in his stool.
4. Normal diet is kibble and treats.
5. He just got dental treats for his birthday, that's the only new thing he has eaten.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He also just pooped for the morning. It started out looking more of a solid poop and at the end got pretty soft but nothing like the squirts that were coming out last night.
The dental treats could certainly be causing the vomiting and the diarrhea, but you may also be seeing some upset from the wood that was chewed up and potentially the sock that he chewed up last week. The easiest approach for him will be to: 1) Administer a dose of pepcid (famotidine) to reduce the acid present and calm his stomach. You can give 0.5mg/pound of body weight every 12-24 hours as needed for the nausea. I would give this medication 2 hours before offering food to allow it to digest and begin to work. 2) Switch him over to a bland diet for a few days. You can do this by cooking boneless, skinless chicken breast with water and rice until it becomes mush. Once cooled, feed 1/2-1 cup of this every 2 hours and monitor for vomiting. This will not only help his stool to become firm but should prevent further GI upset. After the vomiting and diarrhea has resided, you can slowly add his regular kibble, treats and dental chews back in.If his symptoms do not resolve within the next 24 hours, if you see blood in his stool or vomit, you notice that he's retching but not producing anything, has become painful in his abdomen or exhibits signs of abdominal swelling, you will need to have him seen promptly as a more concerning medical condition may be present aside from an average GI upset. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.