PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 13 year old papillon with severe separation anxiety.

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old papillon with severe separation anxiety. When I leave the house he barks incessantly with every breath and paces frantically around the house. My vet prescribed .25 dose of Alprazopram, but it hasn't helped at all. I'm concerned Ringo may stroke because he gets so worked up. Plus, it is very very hard for my family to tolerate. Vet has also tru
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Vet has also tried Elavil. Can I increase the dosage of Alpraopram? Some charts show for separation anxiety the dosage can be increased. If I'm going to be gone just an hour I'd let Rino bark. I'd save the larger dose for when I'd be gone for several hours. I don't want to overdose my dog. I also I don't want him to suffer. I'm not sure how his age affects the amount of med I can give him. Any suggestions" Thank you. Kathie
JA: Where does Kathie seem to hurt?
Customer: Ringo is my dog. I'm mot sure he's hurting. He's very upset and scared because I'm not around - separation anxiety. He needs something to calm him down.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: The Xanax my vet gave Ringo to calm him down hasn't helped.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How much does Ringo weigh?2) Is Ringo on any other medication?3) How often is Ringo receiving the dosage of alprazolam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ringo weighs 12 pounds.
No others medications.
Very seldom because the current dosage does not give him any relief. Probably he's had 1 pill no more than every 2 months.
He is about 13.5 years old showing mild signs of confusion. Still eating & drinking well.
There is a wide range of dosing with this medication but he can go up to 0.5mg per dose and it can be used 2-4 times daily. You may see a better efficacy by giving him the dosage as prescribed, longer term. I would make sure that you are aware of his organ health before increasing the dosage. Those dogs with liver or kidney issues should not take the highest dose unless absolutely necessary and any complication with other cause more problems than benefits. If I can answer any other questions for you today on this topic, just let me know. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy