Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My name is ***** ***** Jardine and my little 6 month 7 pound

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** Jardine and my little 6 month 7 pound chihuahua swallowed half a Teva Spiroton 25 mg. Should I be worried?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The drugs trade name is***** is pink. My husband takes 3 25mg in the morning and 3 at night. That is all the information I can give
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again This should not be such a serious situation, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Spironolactone is a diuretic which is sometimes prescribed for dogs and so is not toxic to them as such, the usual dose rate would be up to 2 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight. Your dog weighs 7 pounds so the top dose for her would be { 7 pounds X 2 mg } = 14 mg. So the 12.5 mg she did swallow is within a regular prescribing range for dogs so adverse symptoms would not be expected. 2. As the amount she swallowed is within a regular prescribing range then there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she may be a little thirsty but I would not expect worse than that. Of course if unexpected or odd symptoms do set in or you become further concerned then you should have a vet check her over without delay. 3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Jardine is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Teva Spiroton ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.