Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

He was running and stepped on a pointed rock a few months back

Customer Question

He was running and stepped on a pointed rock a few months back and bruised the inside of his paw and limps after activities
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, initially it was purple so we knew his inside of paw was bruised but there wasn't a cut
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Can't afford vet, what do you do for a bruised paw? He is 4 and german shepherd. It is on hind leg
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No, he is fine until he runs for awhile
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. While it may have appeared to be just a bruise, it is possible that your boy actually broke or sprained the paw. A simple bruise would have healed by now and not continued to cause limping this long after the injury. However, if he broke a toe it might cause long term lameness from time to time. Read more on this here:http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/fracture-of-the-digit-in-dogs If you want to pad the paw before long bouts of exercise one way would be to but a sanitary napkin and put it in the bottom of a sock and put that on the paw. Secure it with a loose piece of tape. He likely won't want it on and will probably want to remove it. Another options would be doggie shoes or boots to help protect the paws. You can see some here:http://www.baxterboo.com/breeds.cfm/german-shepherd_dog-boots-shoes They may stop the injured toe from being reinjured or at least keep it stable while he is very active. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?