Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our malti-poo dog has addisons and a collapsing trachea. He

Customer Question

Our malti-poo dog has addisons and a collapsing trachea. He is on his 3rd months dose (1 shot per month) and gets one daily dose of prednisone.Just a few moments ago while wide awake - he started yelping, shaking, got stiff and his eyes appeared he couldn't see or hear me. I picked him up and held him and then he stopped. He's sleeping now and appears okay
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....How long did this episode seem to last?Did he fall asleep immediately afterwards?Did he lose bladder or bowel control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It lasted about 30 seconds. I picked him and then once he refocused, I checked to see if he could walk. He stood then layed down and yes as I held him he went right to sleep. He did not lose his bodily functions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he's sleeping now. his nose is warm and he's breathing ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just woke up and went outside for a bit
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.What you're describing sounds like a petit mal seizure...also known as a focal seizure, which can actually happen in dogs with Addisons (there's more information about that here: http://www.2ndchance.info/addison's.htm )Just like with the bigger seizures, these are an emergency, especially when a dog doesn't have a seizure history. Because they can be caused by many things from brain tumors to ingestion of a toxin to organ disease, you should have your dog seen by his regular vet as soon as possible.More information on these types of seizures can be found here:http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/partial_focal.htmThat being said....as long as he doesn't have another one today, I think it would be okay for you to monitor him today and then have your regular vet take a peek at him tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks your first link does not connect any longer?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=608Although the original one worked for me, here's a different one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks. Until the vet opens tomorrow is there any thing else I should look for or anything else I can do.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I would just watch him. If he has any more episodes, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet in your area. If you're not sure where one might be near you, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll be able to point you in the direcetion of the one nearest to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have an emergency vet - I just wasn't sure if I should alter or do anything
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
As long as he's being normal at this point, I don't feel like you need to do anything but keep an eye on him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it happens again what should i do
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
If it happens again, then he needs to go to the emergency vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
And please do me a favor....even after you rate/accept my answer today, touch base with me in a couple days and let me know how he's doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's ok - i didn't find this helpful at all - I googled and already found all the same info you sent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to me, this was not insightful nor helpful
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
With all due respect, the information I gave you was helpful since you weren't aware it was a seizure. I can only give you my best guess based on the information provided to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i suspected a seizure I googled the symptoms and already had read about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
other then bodily function loss he fit the other symptoms. I was more curious about how this all affected him with his addisons and risks associated
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
And I presented you with links showing you that Addison's dogs do sometimes get focal seizures. With a focal seizure, dogs don't always lost body functions...which is why I asked about that.With all due respect, google doesn't always give you the right answers. Especially since so many sites are written and published by members of the general public, rather than by individuals with training and education in that forum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k, i can read your annoyed - i am signing off
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm not actually annoyed. I'm just explaining things. Good luck to you and your dog.