PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 16 year old lhasa apso has bad junky eyes, the vet keeps

Customer Question

my 16 year old lhasa apso has bad junky eyes, the vet keeps prescribing isathal which clears it up but as soon as the drops stop the gunk comes back, looking for long term solution
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brady
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No he is in good health but has alway had junky eyes that go black & crusty underneath when treatment stops
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long has Brady had this concern?2) Has the ophthalmic pressures been checked? Has a tear stain test been performed? Any abnormal appearance to either eye? Has a dye stain been performed in either eye? 3) Has the hair been groomed away from the eyes and face?4) Do you have a picture to share of the eyes (if they're junky, that's okay--I want to see what you're seeing). You can use the picture attachment function at the bottom of the page, or you can upload a pic to a site like and share the link back.I look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has had this for about 2 years now, the vet says it's his age but Im concrned as it gets sore, he has had his pressures checked and they are find, and his tear stain test showed he is over producing tears which is causing the problem, there is no abnormal appearance with the eye its self.
His hair is groomed short around his eyes as best as they can be because of the soreness and the gunk goes black and hardbut the makes his skin red, sore and raaw.
My goodness, poor baby. I can see why you're concerned. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As you can from the picture the problem in not actully in his eyes its the skin under his eyes that are sore and crusty
It sounds like your vet is assisting to the best of his ability, but I'm in agreement with you that there's reason for concern because of the soreness. At this point, because there is no long-term solution with the isathal, it would be worthwhile to ask for a referral to an ophthalmologist. I suspect that there is something abnormal happening within the eye or eye socket itself which is causing this soreness and that it can be prevented. It's very likely that the overproduction of tears is causing this tenderness, but being absolutely sure is certainly worth your time since this is a chronic problem. One thing I would like to mention is that there is a company that makes not only a cleaning solution but a powder meant to be used on the faces of brachycephalic breeds (both cat and dog) that is nearly water resistant. This powder being applied to such an area helps to keep tears off of the skin and, rather, on the coat where it can evaporate or easily be dabbed off. I have used this product in show cats for a few years now and have come to love the results. If the visit to the ophthalmologist is not in the budget, it might be worth trying this product to see if it helps dry that area out and if the soreness resides. A few eye care options in the UK: is the full eye kit, but if you look toward the middle of the page you can also buy just the powder. I like the whole kit because it also helps to remove some of that pigmentation that gathers there with the discharge: Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!