Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dog hasnt pooped in week My name is ***** ***** JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

Dog hasnt pooped in week My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She wasnt eating or. Drinking for days brought her to vet they said she vestibular she been eating and drinking last few days hasnt pooped she looks uncomfortable
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if she isn’t passing stool, then we do need to tread with care and give a bit of assistance at this stage. Of course, if you see any vomiting, belly pain, and if she were to become distressed with this; then we’d need to have her seen urgently by her vet. Though as long as we are not, there are a few tricks you can try at home for her.To start, we can help relieve mild constipation by using some cow milk. This is because they are like little lactose intolerant people and therefore this can help move things down the gut a bit quicker. Or you can treat her with a dose of OTC cat hairball medication. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, we could also mix a small volume of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, or food grade mineral oil) into her food. Do avoid giving it directly, since we’d want to avoid any aspiration risk.Further to this, if she is eating you can mix in some fiber(ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. When offering these, its best to use wet food both for ease of feeding but also since canned food is 35% water. It’s a good way to make sure we are getting fluids into her As well, you also want to encourage her to drink by offering fresh water, low salt chicken broth, or even lactose free milk. The increase in fluids with avoid any dehydration risk, which can make constipation worse.So, the above treatments would be our options at this stage for your wee one. Of course, as you use these, do keep a close eye on her fecal output. Hopefully, we will see some feces, but if we don’t in the next 12-24 hours, or she begins to vomit or feel poorly at all, then we’d need to get your local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation). All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?