PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My husband gave my dog too much horse deepened

Customer Question

***** *****.. My husband gave my dog too much horse deepened Dewormer.. Sorry
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The dog shook his head a lot and then drank a large amount of water
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hi, JaCustomer. It looks like there may have been a problem with the transmission of your original post. Can you confirm what is going on with your dog? Did your husband give too much horse dewormer to the dog? If this is the case, I need to know when it was given and what was given.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes .. 38 minutes ago .. It's called zimecterin.. 0.26 ounce
How much does the dog weigh?Do you have a picture of the package or the brand name/description of the medication? Is it a paste or liquid?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Between 78 and 86 pounds :(
Is it 0.26 oz that was given?If this is a paste, how many notches on the syringe?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Paste.. Zimecterin gold.. Iveermectin 1.55 percent / praziquantel 7.75 percent..
How many notches on the syringe was given?
I've offered a phone call in case it's easier for you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There are 30 notches he took the entire thing enough to deworm 1250 pound of horse
He's going to have to have vomiting induced. This could be a lethal amount. One moment while I get some instructions together for you.
While you work on these instructions, I'm going to get more information together for you guys. He needs to immediately be made to vomit. If you do not have a bottle of fresh hydrogen peroxide in your home, go buy one now or drive immediately to your local ER to have vomiting induce. Instructions: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html
Chances are high that you guys are going to wind up in the ER this evening and that's precisely where you need to be, especially with an ingestion of this size.Typical symptoms to see are: walking as though drunk, dilated pupils, blindness, tremors, vomiting, seizures and death.The horse dewormers are not safe in any dose for dogs. Although they are used by some, the risk of a toxicity is very high (especially in collie-type breeds). A single notch typically deworms 250# ***** livestock, which is way more than most any dog will ever weigh. In the future, the liquid Ivermectin would be much safer or, ideally, a dewormer provided by your veterinarian.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We can't get to an er we have no ride.. He is a stray we were just trying to help
Hydrogen peroxide is going to be your best bet at this point. Unfortunately, at a dose this high, his only hope of not having major medical problems is to be forced to vomit. Using hydrogen peroxide is going to be the best method. The longer the ivermectin sits in his system the higher the risk of complications.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I give him the peroxide and how much
The directions are here: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html
Checking in to see how things are going.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy