PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My American Eskimo dog sometimes has on his poo. He is

Customer Question

My American Eskimo dog sometimes has slime on his poo. He is around 8 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi JACustomer, thanks for your question. Can you give me some additional info? 1) What diet is Bambi eating? 2) What state do you live in?3) Is Bambi being given any heart worm prevent? If so, what kind and how often? 4) When are you seeing the slime? 5) Any vomiting? 6) Is the stool solid?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Blue brand small dog and adult food
California
No
Once in a while (not often)
No vomiting
I don't understand what the stool is
It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you I will wait the time.
There are a few reasons that we can see mucous in the stool of dogs. First, we worry about intestinal parasites and protozoan. Giardia, whipworms, hookworms and so forth can cause mucous. Changes in the diet can also cause mucous. We typically see this when a diet is changed, a new treat is added or a pet receives human food. We can also see this with stress, if a pet has moved recently, visited a new area or there has been a change in the home. Typically, a few days on a bland diet helps greatly. You can feed rice and chicken for a few days to see if this helps. You'll want to include water, rice and boneless, skinless chicken breast in a pot and boil until reduced to mush. This can be fed 1-2 times daily for 3-5 days and then a slow switch of diet back over to the normal food. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!