PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our chihuahua has started having a diarrhea yesterday. I just

Customer Question

Our chihuahua has started having a diarrhea yesterday. I just noticed a small amount of mucus and blood with his stool
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is eating and acting fine. No fever
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Shawn. I'm s sorry to hear your guy not feeling well. Can you give me some additional info? 1) When did this start? 2) Has he eaten any new food, human food, new treats, etc. in the last week?3) Any bones? 4) Is the blood dark or bright red?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same food that we've always given him. No bones. The blood was red. There was just a drop in the mucus
Thank you for the additional information, Shawn.It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
There are a few reasons that we can see blood in the stool of dogs. First, we worry about intestinal parasites. Hookworms and whipworms commonly cause blood in the stool of dogs, so a fecal exam would be ideal.A daily dose of pepcid for the next few days may help to calm his stomach enough to reduce the appearance of blood. You can see the dosing instructions here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcidIt would also be ideal to use a bland diet for a few days to see if it helps. You can boil rice, water and boneless, skinless chicken breast until it becomes a mush and feed it 1-2 times daily for 3-5 days to see if the blood in the stool improves. If vomiting starts or if the blood worsens, this will make a physical exam imperative and necessitate diagnostics to determine what is causing the blood. Hopefully the change in diet and famotidine will help to eliminate the blood in his stool. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. ***** site for the dosing isn't working. He weighs right at 5 pounds
You're welcome! The recommended dose Pepcid is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.
this would basically be 1/4 tablet of a 10mg tablet.