Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an older sheltie that has been chewing on some succulent

Customer Question

I have an older sheltie that has been chewing on some succulent plants in the yard.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He looks a bit dizzy and disoriented with rapid heartbeat.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: His name is Scrappy
JA: How old is Scrappy?
Customer: about 12yrs
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Succulents are non-toxic in dogs. They can cause some irritation to the gut and vomiting/ diarrhea, but there is no toxin absorbed and they shouldn't be harmful if chewed and ingested. If the vomiting is severe, then I would get to a vet for symptomatic care. I think that is unlikely to be needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.