Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Our miniature daschund is acting very strangely. He is extremely

Customer Question

Our miniature daschund is acting very strangely. He is extremely nervous, constantly looking around and licking his lips. Pupils appear abnormally dilated, and sniffing a lot. We are unable to get him to calm down, and have never experienced this before. He is a rescue dog, so we are unsure of his age, but estimate around 8 years.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
When did you get the dog?Is this the first time the dog has acted like this since you got him?Is he walking okay, any arch in the back or walking gingerly?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have had him 3.5 years. He has never acted this way before. He is usually very carefree and quite lazy. We cannot identify any triggers. He went outside this morning as usual, came in and laid down with us for a bit as usual. It was after we all got up that he went to his bed and did not want to come out. Not even to snuggle on the couch - very unusual. Then we started noticing all of the other symptoms.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He does not appear to have any physiological issues such as back or walking problems.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Licking the lips can be a sign of nausea/stomach upset, but it can also be a sign of seizure activity and given the age of the dog, seizure activity should be ruled out.With this breed though they also have back issues with the discs alone the spine which can cause pain. When they have this they are less likely to play, they won't jump on furniture and are reluctant to be held by the owner. They will seek a place to be away from people and some will hide under the bed or a chair not to be bothered. I would make a vet appointment and have her checked. For the time being I would keep her well rested with outings for potty only. You can try a baby aspirin today and see if that helps but give with food.I would also check the vital signs to see if you are dealing with an emergency, though at this point it does not sound like one , with older dogs and suspicious behavior you do want to know what to look for as far as vital signs.I am going to direct you to a site that will take you step by step in this. Please hold while I get that site for you .
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
taking the vital signs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He seems confused or dioriented also. Should we take him to the emergency clinic?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
taking the vital signs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
If he seems confused and disorientated then yes because it came on so suddenly. I would check around the house as well and make sure he did not get into anything toxic. Any new plants in bloom he may have munched on that type of thing.