Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

My 3 month old puppy is pooping mostly liquids. we are thinking

Customer Question

my 3 month old puppy is pooping mostly liquids. we are thinking she might've chewed on the leaves from our ficus tree. what do we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your pup Roxy's loose stools.Ficus plants are toxic for dogs. They contain proteolytic enzymes (ficin) and psoralen (ficusin). These toxins can cause dermatitis (red irritated skin) and ingestion can cause oral irritation, drooling and vomiting, possibly diarrhea. If Roxy isn't nauseous and drooling then it is very unlikely this is totally related to the Ficus plant.I understand that you would like to help her. I don't normally recommend using Imodium or Lomotil as it works by slowing the gastrointestinal tract down so that water in the stool can be reabsorbed. It is a narcotic and can lead to sedation and in some dogs can stop normal gut movements entirely. If the diarrhea is related to a bacterial toxin the Imodium allows more toxin to be absorbed. Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Although very unlikely at her young age it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or a mass in the intestinal tract.Do you know if she got into anything else that may have started all of this? Any new foods or treats?If she is feeling well otherwise I am less concerned, loose stools in puppies are common because they mouth everything. If she is eating poorly or lethargic though she should be checked by a veterinarian if she's not bouncing back quickly with the suggestions that I give you.Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasites are a common cause of loose stools in young dogs and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative. If she still feels well now though we can try some things at home.If her appetite is off and if stomach is gurgling she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with her loose stools.To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if need be. I would not feed her any food for 8 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with diarrhea. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse. Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go. After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.You can also add probiotics to her bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores. Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular puppy dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.If she is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Is this your follow up question?"Finally got in! Read your answer. Thank you. Should we do Pepcid ac and then the kao pectate or one or the other? She did have one of her shots on Monday-would that cause it? And she's mostly just lethargic with the diarrhea. No drooling. no new foods or treats lately." If so, vaccines can lead to mild lethargy, and some loose stools in some puppies. If she has a good appetite then you can skip the Pepcid (acid reducer) and go right to kao-pectate. But if her appetite is off give the Pepcid and then a hour or so later follow up with the kao pectate.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxy. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****