Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My name is***** have shihtzu dig who had a tick bite in Spain.vet

Customer Question

My name is***** have shihtzu dig who had a tick bite in Spain.vet there said that tick does not stay inside
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: But transmits granules inside body and that these can be fatal.whilst in Spain he had diarrhoea very badly several times. Now exhibiting unusual behaviour skittishness first thing in morning.saw black lump near anus a few days ago but next day it had gone.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.Ticks do not stay inside a dog , they bite, fill themselves with blood then fall off or the owner takes the tick off. Any damage done would be when the tick makes the initial bite if it is infectious. Not all ticks are. You can get a blood test to determine this. How long was the dog in Spain? Did he have diarrhea the whole time?Does he still have diarrhea? Has he been scooting the hind end on the floor?Is he bothered by the hind end?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In Spain for six weeks. Diarrhoea on and off. Not now.
No scooting but often bites end of tail.
What about the black lump that disappeared? Please advise fully.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am so worried and about unusual behaviour
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
thank you for that information. The stress of travel could cause the unusual behavior. the fact that the pup had diarrhea means that it could have given the anal sacs time to fill up. These normally break open with a firm bowel movement. The gland are located on either side of the anus so it is likely that the dog expressed them by scooting or biting and thus the swelling went away. Behavior from ticks would show illness, pain in the joints, crying out, fever etc.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
What I would do is add some roughage to the food such as pure canned pumpkin to keep the stool firm. I would want to get a stool sample to your vet for testing to make sure there is no parasite or protazoa that the dog picked up in Spain that is causing diarrhea.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
I am going to direct you to a site that goes over anal glands and tick borne illnesses so you know what to watch for. If diarrhea persists at home I would want to get that stool checked. Ticks anal sacs http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/structure-and-function-of-the-anal-glands-in-dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
ticks http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/the-dangers-of-ticks-in-dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.