PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My bassets breath smells like poop. It it really bad, to the

Customer Question

My bassets breath smells like poop. It it really bad, to the point of nauseating and his bed is on the floor next to my bed. My other two, OES and Australian cattledog dont have that problem, but the Basset has in fact been seen eating poop in the yard. No , I dont starve them. Baxter in fact weighs upward of 70lbs, which is too much for the Basset.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** we have had him about 7yrs. He was found and never claimed, so the age is estimated.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Other than him stealing the catfood off the table? no. Until 2014 we took him to the Vet for shots and to have his nails trimmed, but didnt do so last year. My husband got ill and consequently passed away in Jan this year
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When was the last time that Baxter had a CBC/Chemistry/Electrolyte panel performed?2) When was his last dental cleaning? 3) When was his last physical exam? 4) Are you using any medication to keep him from eating the feces in the yard? I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. But hopefully I can help you in figuring out what's going on with Baxter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Last exam was 2yrs ago. He is on no meds.
At 7 years of age, Baxter is a senior basset and may benefit from some blood work to determine if there may be an underlying cause for the halitosis. We often see that in senior dogs their oral health declines and may also see increases in their liver and kidney enzymes which, in turn, causes their breath to smell downright horrid. The fecal consumption may be either through habit, preference or compulsion. We don't always see a connection between the bad breath and coprophagia, believe it or not. There are lots of OTC treatments that often work for pets including papaya extract and MSG. In a household with 3 dogs, we typically recommend dosing everyone so that the one dog who is eating stool does not wind up avoiding the other fecal material in the yard and eating his own, instead. Examples: sprinkling Adolph's meat tenderizer (MSG) over the food of every dog at a volume of 1 tsp/50#. Keeping the back yard picked up will often help, but a deterrent may be needed. In cases of compulsion, a low dose of behavioral modification medication such as prozac and behavior curbing often works quite well. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?