PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We have a 9 yr old female

Customer Question

hi. we have a 9 yr old female Pembroke Welsh Corgi that was roughed up by a male Corgi a week ago. Tonight, she is walking backwards, panting and cannot seem to get comfortable. She seems to be favoring her right front paw. I am not sure how to make her comfortable until the vet opens 6 hours from now. we have given her 2 doses of Bayer Aspirin ( 3/4 of one - a total of 1.5 in 8 hours. she was on the couch earlier today. Perhaps she threw her back out or something like that. She is eating ( with prompting)and drinking. She prefers a hard cool surface like a tile floor or the brick patio to any cushioned bedding. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes- no evidence but her nails need a good clipping. She holds her right front paw slightly extended in front of her. They are tough dogs. we have 3 corgis in total. They ARE proof that aliens have visited the planet Earth.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Betsy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She is very solid, slightly obese and has enjoyed great health up until 8 hours ago.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) How much does Betsy weigh?2) What strength is the aspirin you're using? 3) Is the aspirin plain, buffered or enteric coated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
46 pounds 325 mg coated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will wait
The dosage that you're using for the aspirin is spot on, however the full dose (230mg) needs to be given no more than 2 times each day. Try not to go over the dosing maximum as it may create GI problems as well as bleeding concerns.The backwards walking, panting and inability to settle is likely due to pain. If the aspirin has not helped her, it would be wise to stop at the final dosage for the 24 hour period. While aspirin can make pets feel better, it can keep vets from being able to use steroids and NSAIDs to improve their pain level, so it must be used cautiously.To encourage rest, this evening you can give her 2mg/# (100mg) of benadryl (use the caplets or capsules, not the liquid). It will take roughly an hour to work and she should relax enough to get some sleep.If she prefers to sleep on the floor or a flat surface, permit this so long as she's not elevated.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not giving her anything else. The vet office is 2 blocks away and they open up at 7:15 am. Your answer is extremely rudimentary. WHAT is causing her to walk backwards and favor her right front paw?
I'll be happy to open your question to other experts. Perhaps one of them will be able to better assist you. Best of luck with your companion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be in a vet's office in a little over 5 hours. No need to refer to anybody else. This is not worth $19. What is the next step?