Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 5 year old boxer JA: I'll do all I can to help.

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old boxer
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He hasn't had a regular poop...he throws
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Throwing up and is not as active as he used to be
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: My little one things that our neighbors gave their little chihuahua a chicken bone and she thinks she saw our dog steal it from him
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: My dogs name is bullet
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I don't have $5...I don't get paid u .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It does sound like he got into something that is causing the vomiting/ diarrhea. There are a couple things you can try at home to get this under control. 1. Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- you can give 20 mg every 12-24 hours to help with nausea.2. Canned pumpkin- you can give 1-2 tablespoons 2-3 times daily. The extra fiber can help firm up the stools. I would also feed a bland diet of chicken/ rice that will be easy to digest and calming on the stomach. If the signs don't resolve, then see a vet where they can give fluids, injectable anti-nausea meds and antibiotics (Metronidazole) to clear up the stools. They may also take x-rays to make sure there is no obstruction. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.