Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is very aggressive when I'm grooming and clip her nails..she

Customer Question

She is very aggressive when I'm grooming and clip her nails..she bites really hard and stress her out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piper and she turns 8 in May and she is a Shizu
JA: How old is Piper?
Customer: 8ys
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No thank you...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. You are not alone, most dogs do not like their nails clipped. The best way to do it is to not try to do them all at once. Try to also get the dog used to you touching the feet. Most dogs are okay with the back feet when touched so start with those, when you touch them treat the dog for letting you touch them and then try building duration of the touch. If the dog is being rewarded with something special they learn to associate your touch of the feet with something special coming their way. Then clip a small tip of the nail and save the next nail for the next day. Another way to to it rather than clipping is to use a dremel. Some dogs will tolerate three taps on the nail with a dremel over a clipper. You can also get a treat bag , attach the bag to the side of a crate at her height, make the opening wide enough for her to get her face in the bag, and put treats or a small jar of babyfood at the bottom of the bag. Some dogs will be so enthused about what is in there they concentrate on that rather than what you are doing. Having their head in the bag also acts as a blinder to what is going on. Since she is small enough you may want to try a grooming harness. this hangs from a ceiling and the feet go through so that you can clip the nails without her pulling away. with a dremel you want to use sand paper and not a grinder, got tap tap tap on the nail and it takes it down with each tap, do not hold it on the nail. how to use a dremel
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
here is an example of a grooming hammock