PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Chronic urinary tract infection. tried a number of antibiotics

Customer Question

chronic urinary tract infection. tried a number of antibiotics but not going away.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: looking at urrel as a possibility
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: my great dane is 16 years old?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bambi
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) Has it been through Bambi's entire life that she's had problems or more recently? 2) What antibiotics have been tried? 3) Has a culture and sensitivity been performed on her urine? 4) How many urinalysis have been performed? 5) Any abnormalities in her urine such as crystals? 6) What symptoms are you currently seeing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
past 3 years.
she was recently treated for Pseudomonas was treated
that cleared up but now has e choli
In the past has been on amoxi clav, bactrim, and a few others. currently I have her on zythromycin and rocephin which i started yesterday. She seems to be responding, She eats fast and seems alert.
Urine has been cultured.
I have not been told of crystals in urine.
She is lethargic.
If she's improving on the newest treatment, most certainly continue until the regimen is finished. After she has finished it, it would be wise to perform another culture to see if there are bacterias still present that have not responded to the treatment and tackle them next. I am going off the presumption that she's having a cystocentesis performed each time (needle through the body and bladder walls into the bladder to collect a sterile sample). When it comes to chronic UTI problems, it is often also helpful to look for underlying medical concerns that could be contributing to such conditions. If Bambi is truly 16 years of age as listed above, she's predisposed to a lot of illnesses which could alter her ability to fight off infections and set up to fail with chronic UTI's. With this, we must always be concerned about thyroid disfunction, cushings disease, etc. These are both fairly common in danes. As well, kidney problems could be contributing, as well as masses and tumors inside of the body. A urinary workup with an internist might not be a bad idea if you continue seeing problems, having them ultrasound her abdomen to see if there is anything abnormal present which might explain why she's having such chronic problems with these UTI's which should be responding to therapy. If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?