Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She has a lump under her arm pit that resembles a spider bite.

Customer Question

she has a lump under her arm pit that resembles a spider bite. It has not grown and does not drain. she has had it for about 2 months. I have tried antibiodic ointment and hydrocordisone cream still has not changed in size
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: coco
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. How old is your little one? What breed is she?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is a 3 year old pit bull. My vet thought it might have been a histocytoma but when I googled it the symptoms do not resemble her lump
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Alright. Well, this is a situation where the thing I like to do is to aspirate the lump to get some material out of it and to then look at it under a microscope on a stained slide. A cytologic evaluation can give a lot of insight into what this lump may be. Is it a histiocytoma? Could it be another type of growth like a lipoma or a mast cell tumor? Could it be a cyst? These are all considerations and palpation of them and a topical visual can only tell a little bit. An aspiration of it gives a chance to get more information that can guide the next step. Is this something that may need removed surgically to determine what it is? That is a possibility too. It is good that it isn't growing or draining. Is this more worrisome or not? I can't tell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing to drain just looks like a spider bite my vet did also suggest maybe surgical removal.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
If there is physically nothing to aspirate, then surgical removal would seem to be the next option. Is this something that is going to resolve on its own? If it has been there for 2 months, then I would say getting it removed sounds like a very simple step that will provide the information that is needed to know if this needs further care.