Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I took my 8 year old neutered dog to a beach party along with

Customer Question

I took my 8 year old neutered dog to a beach party along with my 5 year old spayed female. I was lugging all my beach stuff so I let him off leash. 3 minutes later he attacked a leashed female pit bull. The female dog was wagging her tail and wanted to play but the owner of the dog was very aggressive and drunk. Could my dog have felt that negative energy and that's why he attacked the dog? When he was a puppy, he was attacked by 2 wolf dogs and also by a pitbull, at another time. He normally plays with other dogs but can get bossy and his play can get too much. I'm going to call my local SPCA to see if i can get him into a behavioral class.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. You also have the option of our phone call services which I can offer you from my end for just 5 dollars extra.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, rather type, thanks
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
It could have been the whole atmosphere that contributed to it, it could have been that this other dog was sending off signals of a challenge to your dog and your dog took that challenge. Without having seen what happened it is difficult to decipher.What is your dog normally like? Does it have an alpha aggression , fear aggression, or possession aggression type behavior?What did the other behavioral specialist tell you they observed in the dog as far as that goes and what did they tell you to do with the dog to help the behavior?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So after he attacked her, he caused scut right under eye and one one her forehead. It cost me $900 for vet bills. I'm really upset at my dog. He is usually a great dog until he does these unexpected attacks.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
can you see my questions above?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I see your introduction and question if I rather talk.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have you asked any other questions?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He has alpha aggression, for sure.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The behavioral specialist told me to keep him on one of this choke pinch collars and to always keep him on leash. Well, I followed that for a year. He began to listen to me and would just play with other dogs without attaching them. But I see what you're saying. He would go after the ones that did challenge him.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And sometimes he would have that fear type aggression because I notice his back hairs raise up when he'd see particular dogs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And when I notice the hair raise, I'd put him on a leash immediately.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
Oh my. I think they gave you the wrong advice. Using a pinch collar only makes a dog more aggressive.I would do daily positive training with him.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
Generally dogs that are alpha are not fearful. The hairs are an indication there is about to be trouble that's all
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
If the dog is fearful then you want to boost the self esteem through positive obedience training daily so you always set the dog up to succeed.If the dog is alpha daily training is still require but you want them to be on the learn to earn program at the same time.It does not sound like any of this was specified by the previous person that helped you.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
I am going to direct to a training method that might help your dog but you have to do it daily. Once the dog listens to commands everywhere you take it then work on behavior modification training and I will send you to links on how to do that as well. Get a clicker at any pet store and get a treat bag for your belt. start in non distracting areas such as the home, when you get to more distracting places such as the outside up the ante of treats to hot dog slivers or chicken slivers. Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
Should you think it is more alpha aggression then put the learn to earn into place .Reactions to Actions or Learn to EarnCopyright Sally G In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well. What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food. You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again. Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that. Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this. So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children. Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them. This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs. As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward. When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around. Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it. So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive. Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
Until you see a change in the dog do not let it off leash. Put a carabiner hook on the leash handle and attach that to your pant belt if you need your hands to carry stuff so the dog can never get away from you.