Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He is a 5 month old puppy and chewed up a kitchen sponge and

Customer Question

He is a 5 month old puppy and chewed up a kitchen sponge and swallowed some of it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brodie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He seems fine. Didn't eat whole sponbe. Should be make him throw up?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. If Brodie chewed up the kitchen sponge into small pieces and swallowed them then the chances are that this is not so much of a problem, the likelihood is that the fragments will just pass along his intestinal tract without problem. If you give Brodie a teaspoon of olive oil now and the same again 12 hours form now then this may help the fragments pass. But the main thing to do is just to keep an eye on him. 2. However be aware that though very unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here. So monitor Brodie for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that the sponge fragments could possibly cause an intestinal tract blockage.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Excellent
Hello again, Thanks for the kind comment. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Brodie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Brodie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the kitchen sponge incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.