Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I just gave my dog 5mg of flexeril by accident about 30 minutes

Customer Question

I just gave my dog 5mg of flexeril by accident about 30 minutes ago. He is 11 pounds. Called vet and they said call poison control. Will it hurt him? its been about an hour and he appears fine. What should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a maltese about 14 years old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. This one time ingestion of a small amount of Flexeril is safe. It's a muscle relaxant, so it'll cause some sedation and lethargy. Other than that, you shouldn't see any significant signs. The sedation should wear off over 8-12 hours. I would try to get some water or fluids in him to metabolize it faster if at all possible. No real worries here, though. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.