PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Pearl JA: What is your issue regarding? Customer: my

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my dog may have possibly eaten 1 or 2 benzonotate 200 mg pills today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: Haha, sorry, the dog's name is Cuppy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Cuppy is almost 2 years old, and weighs about 40lbs
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When was this medication consumed (how long ago?) 2) Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Medication was consumed this morning around 7 am, almost 3 hours ago. No vomiting, and no change in behavior so far.
Thanks for the extra info. Give me about 5 minutes to type out a detailed response for you.
Benzonatate has the potential to be very toxic to dogs. If only 100mg was consumed, this is a dosage that can be prescribed to a dog her size. However, 200mg is far too much for her. Because of the risk of a fatality resulting from consuming a toxic dose, it would be wise to at least have her observed for symptoms and treated symptomatically by a veterinarian. Failing this, be on the look out for symptoms such as: vomiting, drooling, fast heart rate, drunken walking and lethargy. If she has any symptoms at all, she needs to be seen promptly by a veterinarian. Again, the earlier the better in this case. This medication has the potential of very serious, evening life-threatening, effects. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!