Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 10 year old female bassett hound and her hair

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 10 year old female bassett hound and her hair is coming out in clumps on her left hip... no where else... should I be concerned or is she just loosing her undercoat in that area?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Given the time of year, it's probably just undercoat that she is shedding. If she loses hair on both sides of the body and there are patches of no hair, then I would be more worried. In that case, I would do thyroid testing and make sure she's not deficient (Hypothyroid). This can lead to symmetrical hair loss. Treatment is by supplementing with a thyroid hormone- Thyroxine. I think it's less likely, but worth keeping in the back of your mind just in case. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.