Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I was researching propranolol (10 mg) blood pressure meds.

Customer Question

Hi I was researching propranolol (10 mg) blood pressure meds. I think my 65 lbs. male boxer ate some. He's not showing any symptoms other than playful or it's nervousness. happen when we were gone. Found vomit through out the house so I think he expelled what he had. occurred 2-3 hours ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Trigger is 2 1/2
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No known health issues
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Any idea how many he may have taken? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just remembered - We also discovered jelly beans in the mix. I think he expelled those and not the BP pills. The pills were strung all over, but it looked like a full bottle I left with. None of the capsules were broken - and none were in the vomit. If I'm not mistaken pill are made with a bitter ingredient to deter kids (and boxers) from eating.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Trigger's on the couch with my boy resting. Looks normal. Breathing seems fine. Not lethargic or hyper.
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. From what you say it does not sound too likely that Trigger got much of the propranolol so probably best to just keep a good eye on him for now. Expected adverse side effects could include weakness, lethargy, wobbliness, drunken gait, fainting, and collapse. { Signs of low blood pressure } And of course contact an ER vet without delay if any such should occur. 2. This drug { Propranolol } is routinely given to dogs so it is not toxic to them as such. But a typical dose rate for dogs would be up to 0.5 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight, beyond that overdose is of course possible. 3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Trigger's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Trigger is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Propranolol incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers