Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 60 lb, 10 year old Shephard mix ate some pepto bismol tablets.

Customer Question

My 60 lb, 10 year old Shephard mix ate some pepto bismol tablets. I'm not sure how many she ate. Maximum would be 20.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pong
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long ago did this happen { Minutes or hours ago } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure. I was at work. It could have been up to 12 hours ago. I didn't think anu thing of it but now she is a bit lethargic and refusing to eat (which she never refuses). I'm not sure if the lethargy is related. She had an infection a couple weeks ago which had made her lethargic. She took antibiotics and was seemingly fixed up.
The pepto bismol says it has 262 mg bismuth subsalicylate per tablet.
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. My concern with Pepto Bismol overdose is that the active ingredient is related to aspirin and as a result serious side effects such as stomach ulcers and and intestinal tract bleeding, can occur. This is potentially a serious situation. 2. If more than two hours has passed then inducing vomiting is not going to be an option so I would strongly urge you to take your dog to a vet without delay. The vet can assess the situation and prescribe drugs to help protect your dog's stomach and intestinal tract lining and other supportive care may be necessary. This is not the sort of situation you should consider handling on your own I am afraid ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Pong is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Pepto Bismol incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers