Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is recently become paralyzed and she can't hold herself

Customer Question

My dog is recently become paralyzed and she can't hold herself up to pee to squat her legs are like noodles it's very sad we don't know what's wrong with her she is 14 what do I do to help her to pee so I don't have to put her down other wise she is fine she eats she just can't walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No all four of her legs are like this
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Does this cost anything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. What breed is your dog?Did this come on gradually or all at once?Has she seen a vet for the paralyses?How long has it been since she urinated?
Hi again, I was hoping for a response from you but you do need an answer to Lily's paralyses. Dogs can become paralyzed for various reasons. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here: Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses. You can read about this here: Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here. Dogs can experience organ failure which can lead to disorientation and them being unable to support themselves. If your dog is a long backed breed then a disc issue could be the problem. Often owners will get their paralyzed dogs wheelchairs if their quality of life is still well. They can be found used on most auction sites. Most dogs who are paralyzed tend to dribble urine. If your dog is unable to urinate, that becomes a medical emergency and she should be seen by your vet immediately. If she is at the point where she never can urinate on her own, then your vet can show you how to express the bladder or possibly even catheterize her. There are videos on these procedures on the internet but I would suggest you have your vet determine the cause of her inability to urinate and show you how to do this. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.