Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

My dog has been throwing up days, had soft stool yesterday,

Customer Question

My dog has been throwing up for 2 days, had soft stool yesterday, but now has diarrhea that has small black tar colored pellets mixed in..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Loki
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I dont think so.. his stomach was making a rumble sound all night last night, he looks and is acting really sad and uncomfortable, and he's not eating or drinking much
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years experience in the dog field. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. I know you would like a home remedy, and I would like to give you one, but I believe you deserve honesty. These symptoms can indicate a serious condition which must be diagnosed and treated by a vet. Those black pellets, especially, are cause for concern. Dark, nearly black stool of any kind often means that internal bleeding is occurring. The blood appears black when it is partly digested. It can be be caused by anything from an infection to ulcers to injury to cancer. You can read more herehttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/melena-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspxYou'll need to take Loki to his vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, we don't want him to become dehydrated. Since he's not drinking much you can give him unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants) from a syringe. Place it in the side of his mouth, not straight down the throat. Give him some once per hour - for a medium sized dog, a couple of syringes each time.Food should be plain. Boiled chicken breast mixed with some cooked white rice would be good. However, the most important thing to do is call your vet.If you have more questions, let me know. I hope Loki will be fine. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!