PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

When a dog shakes her head back and forth but doesn't have

Customer Question

When a dog shakes her head back and forth but doesn't have an ear infection what else could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi Katherine, thanks for your question. The shaking of the head is usually an ear infection and the licking of the feet and legs are usually allergies. As far as her not having an ear infection, were both ears checked with an otoscope for foreign bodies such as grass awns, seed pods, and hair? Has she been given any antihistamines or steroids to see if it helps with itching? We can also see compulsive behaviors that lead to chronic licking, but when you mention licking and ear problems together we typically do think of allergies. A little more info might help me to point you in the right direction.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?