PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog is biting his tail and is miserable. It seems to be

Customer Question

My dog is biting his tail and is miserable. It seems to be somewhere near the anus. He doesn't have fleas or tiicks. This started about 3 days ago and now he is really whining tonight. I have a stool sample that I just got tonight and there doesn't appear to be worms, but of course they could be to small for one to see. I gave him a bath tonight thinking this might help but it really just made the problem worse. He does not have any open sores or wounds around the area. Is there anything I can give him to help until he can see a vet tomorrow morning?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: He's not bleeding at all.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Biscuit, he is a Shih Tzu
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) Are you seeing him dragging his bum on the carpet or rubbing himself against the couch? 2) Can you show me via picture where the irritated area is? 3) Is he still eating and drinking well? 4) Is this a chronic irritation for him or does it come and go throughout the day? 5) Does he take any regular medications?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No he is not dragging it, sorry i don't have a picture. He is very irritated and will just stop real quick and bite near his anus. He is eating and drinking well. When I take him outside, he will sit on the grass and whine. It just started 3 days ago, and now tonight it is relentless. He is not on any medications. I'm just trying to figure out how I can get him through tonight until I call the vet in the am
It won't hurt to give him some benadryl. Some dogs experience a slightly sedate result from taking it. Dosing info here: You can redose as often as 3 times daily. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!
Checking in to see how Biscuit is feeling this morning.