Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

She ate a 2" by 2" by about 1/2 sponge soaked with exterior

Customer Question

She ate a 2" by 2" by about 1/2 sponge soaked with exterior latex paint used for painting bricks and cement block.It just happened. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Riley ...about 9 we think she is a lab boxer mix ...weights about 75 to 80 pounds I think
JA: How old is Riley?
Customer: 9
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: What is the charge?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Ok
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup ate something she should not have.I am not so concerned about the paint, as most modern Latex based paints are relatively nontoxic, especially in small quantities. They might cause stomach upset, but it should be minor.My real concern is the sponge, as those aren't digestible, and sponges are super absorbent and tend to expand quite a bit in the juices of the gastrointestinal system. It may pass but if she just ate it, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up.You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread chunks, a small amount of dry dog food, or ice cream (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she though weighs more than 35 pounds).Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the most of the sponge pieces are present. Once she finishes vomiting, gets the sponge out by emptying her stomach, to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. (two 10mg tabs for her is fine)OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours. (one 20mg tablet is fine for her)These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether she vomits most of the foreign material back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through. If you don't have peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.If she doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take her to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.Then watch her closely. If she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara