Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Lisa. I adopted a 3yr old puppy on Friday from the SPCA.

Customer Question

Hi Lisa. I adopted a 3yr old puppy on Friday from the SPCA. She just had spay surgery and developed kennel cough. It's been three days and she is still sick and lethargic and won't eat.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I would like her to eat. Anyy suggestions?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hi there. Thanks for requesting me!Dogs tend to eat better when things smell strongly, so if this were me, I'd go out and pick up some canned or soft dog food. Bring it home and pop it in the microwave for a couple seconds just to make it a bit warmer. Warming it will make it smell stronger, which might trigger her to want to eat.If that doesn't work...you could try rubbing a little Karo syrup or honey on her gums and then offer her the warmed food about 5 minutes later. The glucose will give her a sugar boost, which can also trigger her to eat.Most times, it's just about being patient and waiting for them to eat. I guarantee that a healthy dog will not willingly starve themselves. When she gets hungry enough, she will eat for sure, but trying warming up the food and the honey won't hurt.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa