Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My shiba inu has been scared hiding shaking every day from

Customer Question

My shiba inu has been scared hiding shaking every day from 9-10 ish am to 2 ish pm. Feels like out of no where. For 6 days now. Went to the vet and blood work is ok. Gave pain meds... little to no effect. What's going on?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about? I'm good. And you?
Customer: Im ok would be better if my dog was better.
JA: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Almost 3 years old. AKELA She's fine at the dog park. When we are home. She's scared and hiding. Paintin and looks scared 180 degree personality change
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to fuse guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Car?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. The vet did a check over and everything was fine? Was there any finding of pain? Was the blood work after or before the behavior started?Has there been any changes in the dog's life? Any new animals or people?Has there been any new construction in the area or unusual noises?What is her personality normally, is she outgoing and friendly, usually a little shy, etc.?Has she slipped on a floor recently?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello thank you. Very couldn't find any pain, only did blood work but everything was fine.Blood work was after the behavior. She has been panting and shaking since last Wed. We brought her in Saturday.Nothing new or different that I can see. I have been looking for triggers or anything but I don't see anything different. We live in a city but she use to be fine with noise and the city. Nothing like this frighten panic.She was friendly and treated our house like her domain. Now she's hiding under the bed or somewhere scared. Panting and how body shake. She is needy for pets a lot more than usual. She used to be so independent.If she fell or slipped badly, it was while I wasn't looking. She does have a doggie dog and used to use it plenty before this all started.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Panting and shaking as well as hiding can be an indication of pain so it may be worth having an neurologist look at her for a possible disc issue. They are prone to knee problems as well but usually this shows leg lifting and limping.The fact that the dog was outgoing prior to this and is used to city noises makes me think more health than behavior. But just in case something happened that frightened the dog do not coddle the dog when she acts like this as doing this is rewarding the dog for that behavior, not fixing what it is afraid of. Try to have her focus on something else when she is acting scared such as a dog puzzle where she has to use her mind. You did not mention what pain meds were given but sometimes with a disc issue, normal pain meds or anti inflammatory drugs do not work and steriods are used. So if it were just pain meds like tramadol I might ask for some anti inflammatory drug and vise versa. If both were given then I would look into seeing a neurologist or calling your own vet and tell them the pain meds are not working.