Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He's been laying around not moving at all, was neutered

Customer Question

He's been laying around for days not moving at all, was neutered 5 days ago. Had several diarrhea bowel movements, but today I cleaned up a harder poop that had many little black bugs in, on and around it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: T.Rex
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he's 6 months old and eats well but is very lethargic and appears to be traumatized. Abandonment and abuse issues, dont know if that may be causing some of the lethargy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....What breed of dog is T. Rex?Is he still on any medications for the neutering?Do you know how long that feces may have been there?Was it indoor or outdoor?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Boxer/Lab(?), He had just finished some pain medication Rimadyl, The feces was indoor and it couldn't have been there more than a couple hours at most
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
May I ask where you live?When did he finish the Rimadyl?Is he still eating/drinking mostly normally?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hattiesburg, MS, just finished the Rimadyl last night, he's been eating ALOT, but not drinking much
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So Rimadyl is pretty infamous for making dogs a little sleepy or lethargic, so it's absolutely possible that the reason he's been a bit down is because of the medication. Since he finished it last night, I would expect him to start perking up in the next day or so now that it's done.It's actually really good that he's eating, because that tells me that there's not something systemic going on. As a general rule, sick dogs don't really eat, so the fact that he has a great appetite makes me feel a lot better about things.As for the bugs on the feces....there's actually no little bugs that a dog gets. All the parasites they have in their intestines are actually worms, so those little bugs must have come from the environment somewhere. It's possible they came in from outside or something.If T. Rex was my dog, I'd keep an eye on him at this point and see if he perks up over the next few days. If he's not at least a little better by Thursday, then give your vet a call and have them take a peek at him, but I suspect you're going to see an improvement in his demeanor even in the next day or two.I hope this helps.