Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog:~32 lbs, 14.5 kg; sertraline HDL 75mg; sertraline to kg

Customer Question

dog:~32 lbs, 14.5 kg; sertraline HDL 75mg; sertraline to kg ratio: 5.2 calculated from above data,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: my dog just ate this.... problems?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: shadow
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Anecdotal dosage recommendations are 1-4 mg/kg once daily or divided twice daily. 5.2 mg/kg would be considered a mild overdose and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, and lethargy. Most exposures below 20 mg/kg in dogs aren't serious. I wouldn't induce emesis nor treat in any manner. In humans the peak bood levels occur 30-45 minutes after oral dosing and elimination half-lives average 26 and 80 hours for the two main metabolites of this drug. Pharmacokinetics in dogs, however, are lacking. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.