Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I have saint bernard. He has persistent fever. JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

I have saint bernard. He has persistent fever.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Danny age two and half years.
JA: How old is Danny Age Two And Half Years?
Customer: Vet here says thats he s affected with tick fever
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He is on oxytetracycline bd
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When was he diagnosed and with what (lyme, ehrlichia, anaplasmosis, rocky mountain spotted fever?)2) When did the medication regimen begin? 3) How can I best help you today? 4) What is his temperature currently?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has been started with medication yesterday. He s always painting. Very restless. He is having fever 104 f. He s very dehydrated. Urine s brownish orange. Doc s not able to give him i v fluids as veins r almost collapsed. I m away from expert vet services. Plz advise wat i can do to save him
Was he given any SQ fluids at the vet since they cannot establish an IV? Is he still eating and drinking?Did they diagnose him with blood work?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Blood work not yet done.
He s not eating or drinking anything. Has lostv19 kgs in last 10 days.
100 ml sq fluids given once
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Advise me if i can give SQ at home.
M a nursing graduate for humans.
U can guide me about the amount and type of fluid
Jacustomer, I'm afraid that is not something I am able to do for you. I'm going to opt out to see if there is another expert who may be better able to help you. Best of luck with Danny.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. If your dog is dehydrated, then it is likely he wouild be given sq fluids at your vets. Since you dog is under the care of your veterinarian, we can't tell you to give SQ fluids or any prescription medication either. Often even your vet will make you sign a waiver before giving the necessary equipment and fluids to administer subcutaneiously. So while I can't tell you to give the fluids or advise you to do so, I can point you to a page that gives you the information you seek. You can then determine what you wish to do at that point. I'm sure you understand that your dog needs to see your vet again. The antibiotic often causes a loss of appetite. Sometimes administering pepcid can help coat the stomach and keep the dog eating. If you haven't been offering a bland food like boiled chicken and rice, you might try that. Your dogs organ function should also be monitiored as the antibiotic can affect kidney function in some cases. Read more on that here: I hope this information is helpful to you. If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.