Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He can't lift his head. Walks slowly and shakes sometimes.

Customer Question

He can't lift his head. Walks slowly and shakes sometimes. Won't eat or drink. Doesn't seem to be in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have. There doesn't seem to be anything.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sarge and he's about 14
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can thinking of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.
Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. Are you available for online chat now?
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.
Since I am not hearing back from you...I am going to opt out and allow another professional to help you....DRB
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just saw this
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The inability to lift the head is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of neck pain as might occur with a cervical myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk"), a spinal meningitis or meningoencephalitis, or perhaps tumor in or around the spinal cord. Shaking and anorexia are also pain responses. Sarge's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Sarge. I understand that advanced testing may not be appropriate at Sarge's age and so presumptive treatment with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam may be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.