Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

She is fine she can eat walk run and then all the sudden she

Customer Question

she is fine she can eat walk run and then all the sudden she yelps but doesnt when you pick her up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes didnt not see anything she is kinda favoring he right leg but acting ok able to walk
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sparkle and 5
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi jacustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. What breed is Sparkle?Do you have any idea of common thing when it happens such as when she is running or if she turns?Is she putting weight on the leg and just limping or holding it off the ground?How long has she been like this?
I was hoping to get some responses back to my request for more information, but I don't want you waiting for an answer. There are a few different things this could be. Dogs with disc issues often seem to move pretty normally but generally will avoid stairs and jumping. If picked up correctly by placing a hand on the chest and scooping the rear legs up in the other and lifting, keeping the back straight, then they wouldn't object to being picked up either. Usually they will flinch at least when picked up under the arms or at the stomach because it puts pressure on the spine that can lead to discomfort. It is still something to consider. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. At the start, it frequently manifests in the ways I mentioned above. You can read about this here: Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses. You can read about this here: Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here. Another possibility is that she has a soft tissue injury or a partially torn ACL. If she is actually putting some weight on theleg, then it may just be a bruised leg or soft tissue injury like a sprain. For this I would recommend strict cage rest for a few days and then reevaluate the situation. If there is some improvement, you might continue crate rest for a few more days and then progress to leashed walks. A partial tear of an ACL can be reinjured and tear completely with too much exercise, so keeping the dog calm is recommended until your vet can evaluate the injury. She might also have a luxating patella. Luxating patella is when the knee pops in and out of joint. The more often it pops out, the easier it will pop out in the future. The following explains this: The following site goes over the surgery to correct this. With a luxating patella, the first time this happens it can be painful but often it will pop back in when the leg is extended again so you might not see it actually happen. Many smaller breeds are prone to this condition. I wished I could give you a definite cause, but I am limited in that there can't be any type of exam done. So if there is no improvement pretty quickly, you will want her seen. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?