Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 15 lb dog ate a milk chocolate Easter bunny over an hour

Customer Question

My 15 lb dog ate a milk chocolate Easter bunny over an hour ago. She has gotten into chocolate before and had no problems. She seems fine. I cannot afford a vet right now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leila, age 9
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How many grams/ounces was the bunny?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure. Probably 10oz
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maybe 8
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't afford to take her to the vet
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you,Now if she has had 8-10 ounces at her weight, this is a severe dose and can cause serious harm (GI upset, but also breathing/heart rate changes, tremors, and seizures). Just to note, these can be delayed in onset as much as 36 hours for those more serious signs. With all that in mind, if its been an hour, then you need to be proactive and act fast. To start, we need to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.Overall, this is a severe intoxication. Therefore, you need to do the above fast to prevent her from serious side effects or the need for an ER vet. Otherwise, just in case you do need her seen and since if funds are a concern, there is help out there. If you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via: VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) or Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help. But again if we do the above just now, we can hopefully get this out of her system and protect her from harm Please take care,Dr. B. PS- As you can see I didn't pop away but had a lot to type for you to help her before this chocolate dose can cause harm. -Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome,Best wishes for her,Dr. B.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )