Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have a 6 year old female silky terrier. She has never had any health issues. Last year we moved to a new home, but in the same area. We also changed to a worm medication that includes flea control, Sentiel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. The information you gave to the virtual assistant above doesn't explain what the problem is with your dog. What symptoms are you concerned about?Anna
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have a 6 year old female silky terrier. She has never had any health issues. Last year we moved to a new home, but in the same area. We also changed to a worm medication that includes flea control,Sentiel. Starting in the Spring, she started itching and losing hair. The vet did blood but all normal. We changed her dog food, but it got worse and by end of summer she was miserable and lost alot of her hair. Vet put her on a anti itch med. His thought was it was an allergy to something. Our thought is the Sentiel. During the summer we had taken her off the Sentiel. In the Fall we put her back on it for one month because the Vet told us it could not be that. The itching came back so off it she has remained. So, Spring has sprung a little around here and Daisy has started to scratch a little, we could just be Pernod. All her hair grew back over the winter and no scratching. So here is the things we think it could be if it is not the Sentiel (which I will not put her back on)
Preen Mulch
Strawberry Weed - the only weed that has started to re-grow this season so far.
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. With skin allergies, it is usually pollen that causes the itching. It sounds like you have experimented with the Sentinel, and it appears that it is definitely having an effect on Daisy. I would try a different medication for that purpose.It also may be that Daisy just has sensitive skin. I would keep her away from the Preen. Besides the risk of skin irritation, it contains a toxic herbicide. If Daisy eats some, it could make her very sick. In addition, the chemicals it contains are carcinogens when long term exposure occurs.In summary, I would ask your vet about a different medication, keep her away from the Preen, and just observe her for any other skin reactions. Skin problems can be very difficult to diagnose, and observations are often the best way to figure out sensitivities. If you have more questions just let me know. I hope the measures above will solve the problem.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just checking to see how Daisy is doing. Do you need any additional information? Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!