Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Took my dog to the vet yesterday with bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

Customer Question

took my dog to the vet yesterday with bloody diarrhea and vomiting. had x ray, sub cutaneous fluids and blood work done, doctor said other than being dehydrated all was clear. he drank very little and ate nothing (on special (diet) on saturday. began to drool heavily and was never comfortable to sleep. awoke this a.m. to bloody diarrhea on floor. he seems a little more alert, but is drooling heavily and still hasn't had water or food. should I wait until Monday to take back to Vet, or go to emergency care?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: can't tell on blood work if he checked for parvo, or distemper.... he is a rescue dog who probably hasn't had shots. would a vet check for this in the blood work?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start? I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This really sounds like a serious case of Parvovirus and this can be lethal to your poor guy. he is obviously not responding to the treatment and you MUST take your sweet guy back to the ER vet so they can place him back onto IV fluids since, often, they can die from the dehydration. He will require intensive treatment for him to survive especially if he is young. I wish I could give you a home remedy that would help but I worry very much that your guy could die without intensive care. I am so sorry! I know you want the best for this sweet guy and you are doing all you can. At this point, knowing that a test is positive for Parvovirus would not change anything. Treatment is required. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankd for your reply and guidence. Will take him in asap
Good for you...I ma very worried about your sweet guy!! Please let me know how he is doing...Thanks!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Took to emergency vet. Diagnosed with parvo. Given a 50 50 chance of making it. Have disinfected house and yard. Today he was moved to regular vet. Was responsive and has the will yo live. Thanks for your help and correct diagnosis. Will pray and hope for the best.
Good for you!! I am so happy that he has a chance!! LOVE the picture! What a sweety! Thank you so much for the update...I will be praying for your sweet guy...he does look like a fighter!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta