Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

He had seizures Frisay evening, went to hospital and was released

Customer Question

He had seizures Frisay evening, went to hospital and was released from the hospital yesterday. He has started phenobarbital. He is still extremely uncoordinated and is whimpering a lot. He is about 14. After bringing him home, he experienced one 30 second seizure. I'm concerned we're leaving him suffer when, at his advanced age it would be better to put him down. His heart seems to be beating quicker and the whimpering seems to indicate great distress.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's everything.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your old guys condition. The fact that he is still having seizures even with the phenobarbitol on board, this may mean that your guy has either a brain tumor or a brain lesion that would not have a treatment. This will require diagnostics to determine the cause for the seizures which could also be caused by severe liver disease or cancer. Ultrasound could rule out a liver disease or cancer and an MRI would show any form of brain lesion. Because of your guys age, it is unlikely that these seizures are due to Idiopathic Epilepsy and most likely something much more serious. Ask your vet to refer you to a Veterinary Neurologist that could run these tests and find the cause for this condition affecting your old friend. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****