Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dobe just whelped mar 30 - she had 5 pups then a 6th

Customer Question

My dobe bitch just whelped mar 30 - she had 5 pups then a 6th a block from vets, xrayed and there was 4-5 more- they gave calcium shot and sent home with oxytocin - an hour later she had the oxy and delivered dead pup- nothing more happening vet said give a double dose and she delivered a pup with some fluid in lungs- suctioned and headed back to vet- did c section/ spay saved one more pup and lost one after 45 mins--- she is frantic when pups cry, won't eat on her own and now seems to have little milk- any suggestions
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is she on any medication from her vet just now?Is she frantic/distressed because she cannot quiet them with feeding or because she is unsure about the pups themselves?Has she had any gagging, lip licking, retching, or vomiting?Any discomfort from her C-section?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On antibiotics - she is frantic when they cry- one seems to cry even in its sleep, cleans them and nurses fine- no gagging lip licking or vomiting - she does seem to be still nesting- doesn't appear to be uncomfortable
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you,Now this will be a very stressful time of Destiny. Mothers that have had stressful deliveries and C-sections may take more time to bond with their pups. As well, if she has other ongoing issues (postoperative discomfort, infections, nausea from the antibiotics etc); then this can make her feel unwell and increase her stress levels here. Especially if she has less milk and cannot understand why she cannot fully feed and thus settle her little ones.Now I am glad to see that you are hand feeding her if she isn’t keen to eat on her own. Though if she is being fussy consider trying her with a calorie rich diet like Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet or even canned puppy food. As well, you could use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure) or also give a paste supplements (ie Nutrical). That way we can get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in and ensure she has the nutrition she needs to heal and feed her pups.Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** milk decline, it is possible this is secondary to her appetite decline but could also be secondary to her body diverting its resources to her healing postoperatively instead of making milk for her pups. In this case, we’d want to have her vet try her on Metoclopramide. It is an anti-nausea drug (so if her appetite loss is due to nausea or linked to the antibiotics, it will help) but also known to increase milk production. Otherwise, we’d have to consider supplementing or even possibly fully bottle feeding the pups to meet their needs if mum isn’t able to. And if we can achieve one of these, I suspect those pups will cry less and she will calm.Overall, it sounds like Destiny has had a rough start to motherhood here. Since she is only on antibiotics, nausea from those are a worry for her appetite signs. As well, her needing to heal and then eating less, may be why she isn't producing milk as she should. Therefore, we'd be best to start a calorie rich diet but also consider having her vet start metoclopramide to address any nausea but most importantly get her milk levels back up for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She was given anti nausea shot day after surgery, tried royal canin- what time frame do I have to get her milk going
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,Those shots only last 8-24 hours depending on which one they used. And if it wasn't Metoclopramide specifically, then it would have had no effect on the milk. So, we need to check that and as it is days later, re-dosing (injectable or oral) would be indicated anyway. Otherwise, if we don't get her milk production increasing in the next few days, we likely will miss the boat and these pups will need to start bottle feeding.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Destiny. How is everything going?

nekovet